Coffee Morning at Glencairn, 18 May 2013
More than 140 people graced our doors on a beautifully sunny Saturday on the 18th May this year for Glencairn’s first ever Coffee Morning in aid of our building project.
The parlours and chapter room of the monastery’s east wing, designed and built in 1819 by the famous architect Richard Morrison, were transformed for the the morning’s business at hand, with streams of people lending their support by attending the event, and even surprising us with their kind donations of homemade cakes and confectionary for the cake sale that the sisters also baked for to raise funds for our building project.
The community of St Mary’s Abbey, Glencairn is seeking to renovate its monastic buildings, the oldest of which dates back to the early 1600s.
Many friends and relatives helped us in all sorts of ways to make this event a success incuding Marguerite Blaney, pictured above with Sr Josephine our liturgist sister, who traveled all the way from Belfast bringing with her the soothing strains of her harp to help greet the crowds. Our fundraising manager Sr Lily was much praised for her organisational talents which were in great evidence for the occasion with every sister commissioned to help run the show…
Most of all we are grateful to our neighbours for their kindness to us over the years and at this present time not only for their generosity to us, but for their greatly valued solidarity as friends of St Mary’s Abbey, Glencairn.
You may like to visit our Events Gallery for more photos of this occasion