Sr. Evelyn (Kathleen) Glynn was born in Knockvicar, Boyle, Co.Roscommon on 3rd June 1929. She was blessed, throughout her life, by a devoted and loving family. Inheriting her musical talents from her mother, she studied in England and obtained a Licentiate from the Guild Hall of Music, London, and a second Diploma from Trinity College of Music, London. She taught music in England for a time, returned to Dublin but then went back to England where she continued to teach.
While in England, she read Thomas Merton’s ‘Elected Silence’ which so impressed her that she asked to enter the Cistercian monastery of Stapehill, Dorset. There she was advised to go to Glencairn, which she did, entering here in September 1957. She made First Profession on 27th December 1959, and Solemn Profession exactly three years later.
During her early years in Glencairn, she worked on the poultry farm for a while, also helping in the garden and doing some work in the community and guesthouse kitchens. Artistic as well as musical, she was also responsible for the floral decorations for feasts and celebrations.
She was appointed Choir Mistress in the late 1960’s, in time for the changes that followed Vatican II. To change from the Latin Gregorian chant, to what was known as ‘the vernacular’ was an enormous undertaking for the community, and it was Evelyn with her beautiful accompaniments and knowledge of music, who guided us into new tones, antiphons, hymns, using the best material she could find. It was a long and difficult process, unlearning the old and learning the new, but it succeeded, largely thanks to her expertise and lovely organ playing. She also composed some music that we continue to use in the Liturgy.
Never very robust, as she grew older her health and eyesight gradually began to fail, and she became less able to accompany the Divine Office or work. In January she was hospitalised for some days. Gradually her condition worsened, she was taken to Cork University Hospital, where she received excellent care, members of the community taking turns in staying with her. She went peacefully to the Lord at 6.15 p.m. on Friday, 7th March, 2013, to join the Heavenly Choirs.
May she rest in peace.