We are seeking fresh designs for our 2018 range of Christmas cards. We invite artists, designers,
and anyone interested to submit a design for our consideration. If your design is chosen, we will
promote your work by printing your name on the back of the card and in our sales catalogue and
webpage, by linking to your designer or artist’s website from our website, and by profiling you on
our social media. You will also be included in the ongoing prayer of the nuns at St. Mary’s Abbey,
Glencairn, whose life you are supporting by designing a card for our use. No cash fee will be paid.
We are open to both traditional and contemporary designs.
For more on our Card Department, see www.glencairnabbey.org/glencairn-cards.
Submitting a design for a Christmas card
1. St Mary’s Abbey, Glencairn, is a monastery of Catholic nuns. Our cards reflect our religious
2. We produce cards in English and in Irish. A design may be used for either or both languages.
3. Our Christmas cards may include a verse from the Bible, as well as a greeting. St Mary’s Abbey
may choose which Bible verse and/or message will accompany a particular design.
4. Sizes of our cards: 10.5 cm x 14.85 cm or 12.6 cm x 12.6 cm or 7.4 cm x 21 cm.
5. We will accept PDF, JPEG, TIFF, or any standard image files. Please ensure that it is high
resolution (at least 300dpi) at actual size to ensure good quality print.
6. The closing date for submissions is Wednesday 18 April 2018, 6 pm.
By submitting a design you confirm that it is your own original work, and that it includes no
element to which you do not hold the copyright.
By submitting a design you are giving St Mary’s Abbey, Glencairn, the right to use your design,
and ownership of the copyright.
Those whose design is selected for use on our cards will:
- have their name printed on the back of the card, in the format “Glencairn Cards, designed
by Designer’s Name”;
- have their name appear on the sales page of our website (currently being redesigned) beside
their card, and in our printed catalogue;
- receive 30 copies of the card, free;
- receive a link to their design or artist’s website from our website, if desired;
- be profiled on our Facebook Page (www.facebook.com/glencairnabbey/) as having their
design chosen for our cards
- receive a copy of our book, A Year In the Life: Glencairn Abbey
- be included in the prayer of the nuns.
If a designer is chosen who is under 16 years, written permission of a parent/guardian must be
given for the publicity mentioned above.
Submissions are welcome from anyone, anywhere.
You may send as many submissions as you wish.
Those whose designs are selected will be contacted via email no later than Monday 30 April, 2018.
What to do:
Create a design for a Christmas card that fits the above criteria.
Send your submission via email attachment in one of the formats mentioned above to
In the body of the email tell us a little about your design and what inspired it.
Thank you for your interest!